Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Thursday 20 November 2014

Three quick scarves......





I had some wool left over after knitting a child's jumper recently and I wanted to use it up instead of putting it back into the wool bag.  It was a lovely pure wool Borgs S.N.2 garn in light brown which was donated to me by Joanne of the Cup On The Bus blog.  I also had some Debbie Bliss 4 ply beige wool left over from a previous project and I realised that both these yarns would combine beautifully.

So, hey presto, I managed to knit 3 children's scarves for Operation Orphan which is an organisation that delivers clothing and blankets to children in need around the world.  For all threes scarves I used 6mm knitting needles and cast on 26 stitches.  The result?...3 warm, squishy scarves with a great drape.  

I used a one-row pattern for the two ribbed scarves.  I can't remember where this pattern came from, so thanks are due to the author.....though it is so simple that there may not be an author. Even so, I don't feel right giving out the pattern without permission.  But there are several one-row patterns available on the Internet and I recommend them as easy mindless knitting projects.
STOP PRESS:  I have found the pattern, so here is the link:
scarf pattern.

By the time I reached my third scarf, I was tiring a bit and I had heard from Linda of the Linda's Crafty Corner blog that there is an Operation Orphan delivery to Syria in December.  So I quickly rushed out a garter stitch scarf which used up the last of the brown and beige wool.

Two of the scarves have a few colourful stripes created from oddments of yarn.  I added them to break up the monotony for both myself and the younger children.  I wouldn't say these scarves are beautiful.  But the important thing is that they are real wool and will tuck inconspicuously into most winter coats.  Three children will be a little warmer this winter.

5 comments:

  1. I am so pleased I sent you all that yarn. So is the woman who gave it to me, and the two of us are sure her departed friend is jumping up and down in heaven, clapping and shouting "Another ball done up, Una. Good job."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased too! I still have lots of cream Aran wool left and that will be on my to-do list for next year.

      Delete
  2. They look lovely warm scarves Una just the thing for those poor freezing children in the refugee camps they will be received with thanks. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that whoever receives them will appreciate them a lot and your gifts will warm with their necks and their hearts too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These scarves will be very much appreciated by the refugee children, Una!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.