Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Mission accomplished: part two...




Ta dah!  This is the infinity scarf that I managed to knit with the rest of the "horrible yarn" that Fiona of the FC Knits blog sent to me as a challenge.  This was a 50g ball of J. C. Brett's Classic Lace Knitting yarn. It was definitely the most difficult yarn I have ever knitted with.  It is a ladder lace i.e. 2 very thin strands joined together at regular intervals.

I researched what other knitters have made with this type of yarn.  Cowls and scarves won the vote.  I started by trying to knit a cowl on a circular needle but the yarn just caught on the joins in the needle.  So I used size 8mm straight needles, cast on 30 stitches and simply knitted rows of garter stitch until the yarn was used up.  The result is quite spectacular and my photo doesn't really do it justice.  There are 150 metres of yarn in one 50g ball and the finished scarf measured 50 inches or 127 cms long.  I thought that was pretty amazing.

One of my nieces will be 18 in May and I am planning to add this to her presents.  She has the typical Celtic colouring of pale skin and dark hair.  This black, silver and pink scarf will suit her perfectly.  She is very fashionable so I made the scarf a little more special by sewing the two ends together to form a type of infinity scarf.  I decided not to twist the scarf before joining the ends as I thought the ladders would become very tangled and stick to each other like velcro.  The scarf is just long enough to wrap twice around the neck and it hangs beautifully.  My daughter who is 2 years older assures me that my niece will love it.

Thanks again, Fiona.  I have to admit that I probably might have given up with this yarn if it hadn't been sent to me as a challenge!  I've estimated there are approximately 3000 stitches in this scarf.  Almost every stitch had to be pulled away from its neighbour before I could knit it.  I'm really pleased with how this has turned out and even more pleased that it is finished.  Woo hoo!


5 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, Una! :o Mega congrats for using the ladder lace yarn. I am beyond impressed by your tenacity. :) Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Una it has turned out beautifully it looks really classy, worth all your hard work your niece is gong to love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for persevering with this difficult yarn Una, the finished scarf has such a beautiful drape, I'm sure your niece will love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks fabulous, but I know it was a lot of work. I've knitted with yarn similar to that before, and simple is best :) When you have to separate, straighten each individual stitch, it's so time-consuming! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have done a great and beautiful work with that yarn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.