Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Thursday 30 January 2014

That's better........





The random collection of squares that I am sewing together into a blanket for SIBOL now look like this.  They were all made by different knitters and crocheters and measured from 4.5" to 7".  I edged them with the same colour and added some extra rows to make them the same size.  The good news is that I developed my sketchy crochet skills and finally understand how to make a granny square.

I'm still getting to grips with editing photos on my new laptop.  The colours are a little darker in real life than in my photo.  The top square is definitely the prettiest and will take pride of place in the centre of the blanket.  The other squares range from completely plain to interesting!  I've been experimenting with the best layout and think I have arrived at one that is slightly better than just tossing them up in the air and seeing how they land.

Hopefully my next blog post will show the completed blanket.  SIBOL blankets are distributed to elderly residents in UK care homes.  Sue at SIBOL welcomes completed blankets and shawls but is no longer able to accept orphan squares.


12 comments:

  1. I love the color that you edged with. And that block. I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SIBOL project is a really good one. A few years ago the care home I worked in received some blankets and they were lovely, bright, cheerful and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Una.i am occupied in exactly the same way just now and it is quite a challenge. You're will look beautiful I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue at SIBOL will be busy with builders after February 8th, so that has spurred me on to finish it before then. I would really like to post it and carry on with other things.

      Delete
  4. I think you've done brilliantly getting them all the same size. Looking forward to seeing it altogether.
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours and this blankie is going to be lovely & snuggly for its lucky recipient. That's a great cause to be a part of, well done.
    Hope you're having a lovely week,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on getting all these donated granny squares the same size Una, it must have been quite a job. The pale blue yarn you have used will help the mish mash of crochet work meld together I am sure. I look forward to seeing the finished blanket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on getting them all the same size Una, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished blanket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite a stack! Beautiful color selection too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job getting all those squares around about the same size, Una! I've just finished a rug for my charity group made with squares from 4 other people plus a number made by me to complete the rug. I did extra rows etc like you. People in our group give me orphan blocks and they can be such a challenge to make something nice...knitted orphan blocks seem harder to fit/use up. SIBOL will be very grateful for your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Una cannot wait to see them all put together, I am sure it will look absolutely fabulous. What wonderful work.......big hugs to you Una. Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just imagine how hard it would be to harmonize squares made by different people...so kudos to you! A crochet border is always a great idea for that. I am curious to see all the different pieces together...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.