Collage

Collage
Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I have been knitting on and off for 50 years and I recently learned to crochet. I love looking for wool bargains and making them into something useful. I mainly knit for charity. I occasionally knit for myself and family members if I find a really good pattern or if they ask nicely!!

Thursday 7 November 2013

Three more Aran hats complete my parcel....




I like this Aran hat pattern.  I have knitted it many times.  The pattern gives instructions for sizes ranging from newborn to youth.  This time I knitted 2 baby size hats (pale green) and 1 toddler size hat (light brown).  The green hats knitted up quickly as expected.  The light brown hat took longer because the wool was so painfully rough that I even had second thoughts about its suitability for a toddler's head.  However, I have soaked it in special wool detergent and it is now quite soft.  This wool came from a Freecycler who gave me a huge bag of assorted yarn.  I can see why it was unloved. But I think I saved it and made something useful.

These hats have now been posted off to Operation Orphan.  Hopefully I have made the deadline for sending items to the children in Syria.  These are the goodies that went into the box:



2 waistcoats
1 scarf
5 hats


My next project is a diagonal blanket which I am just going to enjoy knitting at a leisurely pace.....no deadlines to meet for this one.

*****My Fair Trade giveaway is open until November 28th.  See here for more details.*****


***STOP PRESS***  A few minutes after adding my photo of the 3 Aran hats to my Ravelry projects page the pattern designer contacted me asking for permission to feature it on her front page.  Of course.....I'm honoured!!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Una, I think it's fantastic that you have made these lovely hand knits for the orphans in syria, they're looking great and I'm sure they will be much needed, much loved and keep the children warm too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like knitting aran it works up so quickly and make a lovely thick cosy garment, these hats will be ideal Una, thanks for the link, I will be posting a hat post too shortly, it's nice to have lots of different pattern links. I am at a loose end at the moment, just got the boxes off to Hand in Hand for Syria and can't decide whether to be good and get back to my ufo's or start something new, maybe some Christmas stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd do whatever appeals to you most. Sometimes we just need to treat ourselves.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful cause, the hats are so sweet and the package will be very much appreciated. Have a good weekend. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  4. how beauitful! hopefully they make it there in time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on Rav, now. :) As always, wish I had half your patience... I think I've had some unusable Rowan Summer Tweed in my stash for months! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know what that brown wool is called, I can avoid it in future. Thanks for the name!!

      Delete
    2. No! lol It just reminds me of that brown yarn, with the knobbly bits in it and the varying colour speckles... sort of a rustic look? It might be something different. I'm tempted to post it to you: if you can't salvage it, no one can. ;) x

      Delete
    3. I'd be tempted to say give it to a charity shop. Someone will always buy wool. Why should I have all the fun?!!

      Delete
  6. Because you are super good at what you do! Remind me in the new year... no need to eat into your xmas knitting time. ;) I love seeing your re-purposed or otherwise salvaged projects. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, if you insist. I do actually enjoy a challenge and making a silk purse out of a sow's war.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. You are a star.